Thursday, April 10, 2008

Start

The preceding post were originally posted at my other blog. Posts made here will show up there (except this one). A lot of stuff that shows up there won't show up there. I will probably revisit all of the objects blogged below.

On this blog, I intend to discuss not only manuscripts, but the whole range of medieval art. I reserve the right to define "medieval" and "art" however the hell I wish. I also hope to be able to point to other resources on medieval art. On the name, Monstrous Beauty, it comes from Bernard of Clairvaux, who when discussing (and denouncing) the Romanesque art that decorated the churches of his day railed against the "beautiful monstrosities and monstrous beauties" he found. I like Romanesque art, and the term "Monstrous Beauty" is indeed a great description of it.

No comments: